Run A 5K In 8 Weeks With The C25K App:
If you’re like me, you’ve tried to start a running program more than once. Each time I would start strong only to give up after a few days. What goes wrong? Typically it’s that most people attempt to jump right into running without building up leg strength and endurance. The free app from Zen Labs called C25K solves that problem.
C25K uses ever-increasing interval training to get you safely from your couch to running a 5K race. The app alternates your exercise between walking and running. Over the coarse of 8 weeks it changes gradually from more walking to more running. This allows you to build strength and endurance and prevent things like shin-splints and cramps that beginning runners are confronted with.
The program has you running and walking 3 days per week for 8 weeks. Each workout is between 30 and 40 minutes and that includes 5 minute warm ups and cool downs.
From a design perspective, this app is simple and well organized. Some features that caught my eye include the ability to play the music from your iPod within the app, Facebook and Twitter integration, and compatibility with Nike +, Pandora, and just about any GPS app. The app also lowers your music volume to give you voice updates such as “begin running”, “start walking”, and “you’re halfway”. As a bonus, this app is partnered with The American Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
You can get C25K at the app store or by visiting exerciseforpink.com
- Fitness gifts for techies (video) - December 4, 2014
- Looking For Meal Prep Ideas? - October 8, 2014
- Amazing Home Gyms - October 8, 2014
- Cellucor C-4 Pre-Workout Review - July 12, 2014
- All Beers Are Not Created Equal - July 3, 2014
- Margret Gnarr - May 30, 2014
- Featured Athlete – Jen Heward - April 4, 2014
- What Are You Made Of? Monday Motivation - February 24, 2014
- A Simple Yet Tasty Juicer Recipe - February 23, 2014
- Monday Motivation! - February 10, 2014
- Marathon Runners Over 30: The Unheard of Advantages
- The ‘Get Ready For The Beach’ Ab Workout
- The best in home fitness equipment.
- Is body weight training really the next big trend?
- What is the Paleo diet?
- Fitness gifts for techies (video)