Best Chest: Making Gains on Chest and Tricep Day
Yes, it’s that time of the week and you’re looking for a new challenge in the weight room. When you’re targeting your Chest and Triceps in the same day, be sure to avoid the biggest mistake that is responsible for the fact that you can’t make gains.
Whenever you exercise your chest, you will inevitably use either your triceps or biceps; I like to think of the relationship in a major-minor sort of way. So, the major focus of a bench press is your pectorals, and the minor focus would be your triceps. If you really want to work your chest and your triceps past their limitations, you need to utilize chest exercises that don’t minor in triceps. If you try to superset a bench press and tricep extensions, your triceps will fail you on the bench before your chest does. Although your triceps would get a great workout, your chest will unfortunately live another day without progression!
Keeping that in mind, variations on the Chest Fly are now your best friend. This includes dumbbell flys, cable crossovers, kettlebell flys, pullovers, and so on. Since Chest Flys favor support from your biceps, each exercise for your pecs can and will destroy just that while preserving your Triceps for their own exercise.
And so, I offer you a workout that puts my words into action. It’s a workout of supersets, aimed at keeping the intensity as high as possible. Given that you won’t be working out your chest and triceps in the same lift, rest time between sets are minimal at best. If you are giving the workout everything you’ve got, you should be in and out of the gym in less than 30 minutes!
Exercise – 3 cycles of supersets
1a. Incline Cable Crossovers
1b. Rope Pulldown
3a. Dumbbell Pullovers
4a. Flat Bench Flys
4b. Underhand-grip Cable Extensions
5b. Close Grip Bench
The fifth and final superset is to just annihilate whatever is left of your muscles. And yes, I consciously mixed the triceps into the chest exercises to render your upper body not incapable of functioning.
- A Shoulder in the Fight Against Weakness - August 22, 2014
- Leg Day - August 21, 2014
- Tri Hard - August 21, 2014
- Destroying the Bi-ceptacons - August 20, 2014
- Batwings - August 19, 2014
- Pec-ocalypse - August 18, 2014
- Best Chest: Making Gains on Chest and Tricep Day - July 16, 2014
- ‘Merca - July 4, 2014
- Baby Back Ribs - July 3, 2014
- Isopure Protein - June 28, 2014
- Marathon Runners Over 30: The Unheard of Advantages
- The ‘Get Ready For The Beach’ Ab Workout
- The best in home fitness equipment.
- Is body weight training really the next big trend?
- What is the Paleo diet?
- Fitness gifts for techies (video)